Saturday, March 11, 2006

Cliché: were you born in a barn?

(entered for 03.11.06)

Also: were you raised in a barn?


Meaning: implies you are uncouth. Use examples.
Rewrite 1: were you born (raised) in a
stable?
Rewrite 2: did you get your learnin’ in a barn?
Rewrite 3: where did you learn your manners, in a barnyard?
Rewrite 4: where’d you learn that, in a pig pen?
Rewrite 5: didn’t your mom ever teach you how to close the door?

Comment: This is often said of someone who doesn’t think to close the door behind him when coming into or going out of a house or other building, so I included rewrite 5 to suit that situation.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Bestsports: “Dr. Don Powell, aka Dr. Cliché, has stepped up to the plate and created a library of the "best and brightest [sports] clichés.” (Book review.)

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: