Friday, March 24, 2006

Cliché: same song and dance

(entered for 03.23.06)

Meaning: nothing new; same thing you see all the time. Use examples.
Rewrite 1: same worn out
stage performance
Rewrite 2:
Ringling Brothers was doing that act decades ago
Rewrite 3: same old leading lady, same leading man – no longer leading
Rewrite 4: instead of singing and dancing, how about whistling and waving

Comment: A lot of this is about stage performance, but you could easily apply it to circus performances and sales pitches.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Macsimum News: “’Hustle and Flow’ offers gritty clichés.” [Movie review]

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: