Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Cliché: in your face

Meaning: intimidatingly close. Meaning and uses.
Rewrite 1: leaped across your
personal space
Rewrite 2: so close his twitching eyelashes touched yours
Rewrite 3: so close the red lines on his eyeballs looked like blood-infused lightning
Rewrite 4: jumped onto your chest

Comment: The trouble with this cliché is, it speaks so well of the menace you feel when someone is “in your face.” There may be another short way to say this, but I couldn’t think of it while I was rewriting. These rewrites say it but not in so few words.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
CNN.com – EW review: “’Hostage’ fights clichés.

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable
alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: