Saturday, April 29, 2006

Cliché: six of one, half dozen of another

(entered for 04.28.06)

Meaning: different name, same thing. Uses.
Rewrite 1: six inches of one, half a foot of another
Rewrite 2: break it in half or divide it into two
Rewrite 3: half off here, 50 percent off there
Rewrite 4: a river, a stream, it’s all water to me

Comment: It’s a nit, but it really bugs me when an ad says “Save 50% off.” You can’t “save 50% off”! You save save 50%, or you can get 50% off, but you can’t do both!

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Tired Clichés: Toronto performance by TJ Dawe.

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: