Sunday, April 02, 2006

Cliché: it won't fly

Meaning: it won’t work. Use examples.
Rewrite 1: it’s got no
wingsn8b
Rewrite 2: it won’t make it off the ground
Rewrite 3: it might look like a boat, but it won’t float
Rewrite 4: it lacks the means to “get up and go”

Comment: You could give this metaphor a hammer and some nails, but it won’t build a house. I’ve tried to provide several
iterations to keep it from being just about flying.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Christian Science Monitor: “Finally: A Sept. 11 story without the clichés.”

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable
alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It mustn't be a falcon.