Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cliché: give the shirt off your back

Meaning: generosity to the point of giving what little you have. Meaning.
Rewrite 1: give your last ounce of water
Rewrite 2: give the shoes off your feet
Rewrite 3: give your last clean shirt
Rewrite 4: give the
tien3 from round your neck

Comment: Think “what do I have only one left of” or “what can I least afford to part with,” and you get some idea of the sacrifice that’s implied in this cliché.
More reading about clichés

What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Dallas Sports Guide: “…clichés are more noticeable when used by athletes and other people involved in sports…”

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable
alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: