Thursday, December 22, 2005

Cliché: everything’s coming up roses

(entered 11:46 pm ET, 12.22.05; updated 04.02.06)

Meaning: things are turning out wonderfully. Use examples.
Rewrite 1: everything’s coming up
aces
Rewrite 2: we’re seeing white linensn2 and no spotsn2c
Rewrite 3: I plant weeds and what I get are petunias
Rewrite 4: all I get are sunny days and starry nights

Rewrite 5: my garden is nothing but roses
Rewrite 6: everything’s coming up lilies
Rewrite 7: nothing but sunshine and warm breezes
Rewrite 8: it’s all coming in hundred-dollar bills

Comment: There are lots of opportunities to paint pretty, spotless images. This is about trouble-free life, so think about the perfect day and what you’d like to see on that day.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
SparkNotes: Ultimate Style: Cliches: “It’s easy to fill your writing with clichés.”

No comments: