Saturday, March 04, 2006

Cliché: we're gonna tie one on tonight

Meaning: we’re going to party heavily. Use examples.
Rewrite 1: we’re going to put the party-hounds to shame tonight
Rewrite 2: we’re going to make a lot of party noise tonight
Rewrite 3: nobody parties like we do, and we’re going to set new standards tonight
Rewrite 4: we aren’t just going to tie one on tonight, we’re going to tie it into knots!

Comment: Rewrite 4 is a play on the original, which is permissible in our endeavor.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
TechRepublic Blog: “Worst Clichés of 2005.”

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: