Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Cliché: a penny for your thoughts

(entered for 03.22.06)

Meaning: what’s on your mind?
Meaning and uses.
Rewrite 1: a
buck for a piece of your mind
Rewrite 2: the going rate for what’s on your mind is a
penny, and I’m buying
Rewrite 3: a
penny5 a thought, and I’m in the market
Rewrite 4: it’s a seller’s market – a
nickel2b a thought
Rewrite 5: I’d pay a nickel to know what you’re thinking

Comment: These comparisons are a dime a piece in today’s parlance, but I think I’ve taken the metaphor beyond its more modest beginnings.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
GriefworksBC: “The Dreaded Cliché. How Using Those Worn Out Phrases Can Be Quite Hurtful.”

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable
alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: