Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cliché: you do the math

(entered for 04.30.06)

Meaning: you figure it out or do the work. Relatively new.
Rewrite 1: you do the algebra
Rewrite 2: you do the logic
Rewrite 3: you work the gears
Rewrite 4: you add the ones and tens

Comment: I hate this one so much, I hesitate to suggest alternatives – but here goes anyway.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Herbert’s Peak Clichés or New Energy Storm: Nuclear energy lecture, Purdue University (see attachment).

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable
alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

1 comment:

K Maeda said...

If you thought that cliche was bad in 2006... You're surely disappointed to find that it's only gotten worse. Newsweek even has a regular piece now called "Do the Math." You'd think they'd know better.