Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cliché: go with the flow

Meaning: be one with the flood
Rewrite 1: move with the crowd
Rewrite 2: wander the path
Rewrite 3: follow the lights
Rewrite 4: stay in the ruts

Comment: This could almost be a plea to not "rock the boat," but its roots are in the 1960s, and it was really a suggestion to go along or play along with whatever was happening at the moment rather than plan and scheme or resist the temptation to play.


Check out the searchable
alphabetical list of my cliché rewrites with the archive list at the right.

2 comments:

benza said...

Admirable work.

Would there be other works of this nature?

Like Dr Johnson worked on a Dictionary and there are many more today.

Would one need your permission to make use of your suggestions?

It's a swell idea ... ofcourse, it is we who benefit from your efforts.

You deserve much more than my mere words ... and sadly, I have none to offer in the evening of my life.

May be, others would be magnanimous than poor me,
ben aloysius

Booksville Bookclub said...

Benzaloy:
I gladly give permission to make use of any individual entries for your personal use. However, I reserve publishing rights for the whole work. Thank you for asking.

I know of no other similar body of work. There are lots of lists of cliches but no attempts to rework or recast cliches. I hope to return soon to rewriting and recasting cliches and compile everything into a book.