Monday, April 17, 2006

Cliché: tilting at windmills

(entered for 04.16.06)

Meaning: doing battle with an imaginary enemy or going after overly-lofty goals. Origins and mentions.
Rewrite 1: battling
griffins and dragons
Rewrite 2: chasing merry men in Sherwood
Rewrite 3: seeking sunsets to ride valiantly into
Rewrite 4: seeking world peace one
tyrant at a time

Comment: Rewrite 2 borders on the obscure with its reference to Robin Hood’s merry men, but it can create a sense of going after the difficult to find.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Movie Clichés at The Z Review: “A list of our favourite clichés in the movies.” From the UK.

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: