Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Cliché: dot the I's and cross the T's

Meaning: make sure everything is in order or proofread for errors
Rewrite 1: check for signatures and
typos
Rewrite 2: check for tools and supplies
Rewrite 3: lock the doors and pull the
blinds
Rewrite 4: cross the eyes and
flosstv the teeth

Comment: While I am tempted to try to find additional letter checks, the ones I can think of are already clichés, like “mind your p’s and q’s”. Same for b’s and d’s, although not as often-used. The last rewrite isn’t strictly about assuring order or that something is error-free, but it is a play on the original that used in the right way could be seen as a humorous reference.


More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
Circle of Clichés: “Tom Payne’s guide to the words that reviewers and publishers love too much.” Scroll down to see a more compact list.

No comments: