Wednesday, May 22, 2013

cliché: lower the boom


Meaning:  Various: To punch out; to chastise or punish.

Example: After his cheeky remark, I lowered the boom, delivering my own one-two verbal punch.

Origins: Sailing (beam securing sails to masts, which when swung across the deck may hit someone or knock them overboard); also Theater (beam for staging that might fall or be lowered quickly to knock someone down).

(Definitions and origins.)

Rewrites:
  • lower the beam
  • let loose the boom
  • exercise the boom
  • give chase with the tackle
  • unleash the scaffolding
  • rock the rigging

Discussion: There are lots of ways to say "wrecking ball" with either sailing or thespian jargon, but you need to be careful not to be obscure. In the end, I deleted a couple that though they applied probably wouldn’t have been clear. 

1 comment:

On the supplements said...

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to provide something back and help others such as you aided me.