Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cliché: get in on the ground floor

(entered for 5.02.06)

Meaning: get in at the very beginning or while the getting in is still good
Rewrite 1: get on while the elevator’s still taking passengers
Rewrite 2: take the stairs at the first floor
Rewrite 3: use the door while the handle still works
Rewrite 4: plant your garden before the ground dries up

Comment: Somehow these all seem silly, but then so does the concept of getting into something “on the ground floor” these days.

More reading about clichés
What I found when I
googled “clichés”:
ClicheSite.com: “The largest collection of clichés, phrases, and sayings with definitions and explanations.

Note: By providing links to other websites I am only showing you what is out there about clichés – I am not endorsing any content or opinion expressed there.

Check out the searchable alphabetical list of all my cliché rewrites available in the archive list at the right.

No comments: