Origins: 1924 Listerine ad (source).
Example: I finally make president of the firm and they bring in a CEO - as usual, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
- always a groomsman, never a groom
- always a stable pony, never a thoroughbred
- always an assistant, never a department head
- always a supporting actor, never a leading role
- always a seat warmer, never a celeb
- always a caterpillar, never a butterfly
- always a raindrop, never a snowflake
- always a nominee, never one who accepts the statue
- always a rivet, never a Bedazzler
Discussion: This ad tagline is rife with opportunities for rewrites and recasts. I would love to see what you can come up with.